We cannot imagine an existence without electricity and this makes it all the more important for us to learn the basics about electronics engineering so that we can benefit ourselves more. When students are enrolled for the courses on electronics and electrical engineering, there are conscious attempts to develop an overall understanding about the discipline instead of limiting the studentsâ€™ knowledge to text books only. To make these courses more interesting and fulfilling it is a good idea to incorporate projects the project ideas must be innovative and fresh, and most importantly, which can be put to practical use. The concepts in electronics engineering include both large and small circuits; students therefore have to learn about concepts like batteries and resistors, diodes and integrated circuits. Besides these concepts being exciting for learning, they are also extremely important in our everyday life. All students studying electrical, telecommunication, electronics and computer systems in any college or university are expected to submit projects in their respective disciplines in the final year. The idea behind these projects is to synthesize both practical and theoretical work studied in the first two or three years and projects are typically supervised by a faculty member. Students can benefit from some of these electronics project ideas:
- Water level indicator: This project uses a simple system for detecting and indicating water levels in any overhead tank or container. This will find extensive use in apartment buildings and hotels, factories and commercial complexes.
- Automatic doorbell that can detect objects: This can detect the presence of any person or any object when the bell rings.
- Biometrics digital signaling: Biometrics helps to analyze biological information and can be applied in security measures where the bio-data of a person can be used for identification purposes before he is permitted to do any transactions or enter any public building.
- Bluetooth technology which is short communications technology that uses radio frequency can replace wired cables when it comes to connecting portable or fixed devices.
- RFID based door control: This uses a card and a card reader with a control board; the card will have a unique ID and number. The card then interprets the data sending it back to a control board or microcontroller. The latter then tests the authenticity of the data.
- Automatic solar tracker: This follows the sun throughout the day till sunset and resumes this work the following day again. This device uses inexpensive components buy offers accurate results.
- Temperature controlled DC fan: Here the fan is connected to a DC motor and when the temperature rises, the fan is switched automatically; this device helps to reduce heat.
- Burglar alarm: The circuit here is designed to alert a homeowner whenever an intruder makes an entry into his home. This circuit triggers an interrupt signal when it senses the presence of any obstacle.
These are a few interesting electronic projects ideas that can make learning more fun for students and also work as effective solutions to real world problems. So in studying electronics engineering which primarily concerns itself with electrical components such as transistors, vacuum tubes and diodes etc, projects can be the best way to gain a comprehensive and in-depth understanding.