Chemistry deals with elements and compounds and the molecular structure in matter. It is the science that seeks to examine subjects to understand what these are made up of. This science also studies how subjects react to different situations. So, chemistry projects should ideally aim to solve a problem. Coming up with chemistry project ideas may be quite a challenging task but the idea behind students performing chemistry projects is to ensure that those studying this discipline know their subject well. Students are also likely to benefit from doing projects that are unique are not likely to be undertaken by others. You will come across many different chemistry project ideas and you must choose one that will interest you as a student and also help you to understand the principles of this science better. The studentâ€™s level of understanding determines how advanced the project can be. The key to a good chemistry project is to choose one that not only excites you as a student but is equally interesting for those who will be viewing it. The following are some interesting chemistry project ideas that can also be performed at home:
- Crystal growing projects: ideally for children because these are easy and safe. It is possible to create many shapes with crystals and even color them to be used as home decorations.
- Tests to find out which lubricants happen to be the most useful for reducing friction on different kinds of surfaces. For instance, how hydrochloric acid will react with various metals or which type of oil can be the most effective when it comes to powering lawn equipments.
- Experimenting with salt to see how much of it is needed to make various objects float.
- Penny chemistry: You can clean different pennies and coat them with verdigris and plate these with copper. This helps to demonstrate a variety of chemical processes beneficial for young students of chemistry.
- Invisible ink: These will either react with some other chemical to become visible or they will make the paper so weak that the message can be seen when held over heat sources. For instance, regular heat from a bulb can darken the text.
- Color fire: Colored fire is safe and the ashes are found to have different chemical compositions depending on what ingredients have been added. This fire is different from regular wood fire.
- Density column that can be made using many types of household liquids. This looks colorful and is a great way to show the concepts of miscibility and density.
- Baking soda and the vinegar foam fight which is both fun and educative. This baking soda volcano can be created using a baking dish, vinegar, baking soda, food coloring, plastic soda bottle, warm water, dishwashing soap, cooking oil, salt and flour.
- Alchemy: The transmutation of the base metals into gold is an old tradition which can allow high school students of chemistry to experiment with different types of chemicals. The students can make chemical transfers turning pennies silver or making alloys.
- Students can collect water from different sources like rain water, distilled water and local pond water and use pH test strips, conductivity testers, lead nitrate solutions, soap solutions and other lab equipments to test these samples to determine their pH levels, their hardness and conductivity.
These are some interesting and educative chemistry project ideas that can be tried out by students of various age groups to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the basic principles of Chemistry.